Dr. Alpen Patel was raised in Katy, Texas, and attended Tulane University. He later attended Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas, where he obtained his medical degree with honors.
Dr. Patel then completed his Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery training at the University of Minnesota Hospitals in Minneapolis-St. Paul. In 2002, he joined the faculty at George Washington
University in Washington, DC, where he started the George Washington University Allergy & Sinus Center. Subsequently, he joined the Emory University Department of Otolaryngology in 2006 and helped form the Emory Nasal, Sinus & Allergy Center. Dr. Patel then joined Kaiser Permanente in Baltimore in 2009. While at Kaiser, he was a physician mentor to several staff physicians and also served as a medical director for the organization. Dr. Patel has now transitioned to Total ENT Care, a private practice at MedStar Union Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Patel is board certified in Otolaryngology as well as Sleep Medicine. He is also a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) and a Fellow of the American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy
Dr. Patel has also served as a member of the AAOA Board of Directors for nearly a decade. He is currently the President of the AAOA.
Dr. Patel and his wife have two sons and a dog.
- Residency Program: University of Minnesota (2002)
- Internship Program: University of Minnesota School of Medicine (2002)
- Internship Program: University of Minnesota School of Medicine (1998)
- Medical School: Baylor College of Medicine (1997)
- Medical School: Baylor Medical College (1997)
- Board Certification: American Board of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, Otolaryngology
- MedStar Union Memorial Hospital
- MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital
- Baltimore magazine, Top Doc, 2020