Nicholas Streicher, MD, MPH, is an attending neurologist affiliated with MedStar Washington Hospital Center, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and MedStar Health at Lafayette Centre. He is fellowship-trained in both sports neurology and neuromuscular medicine. As a dual-fellowship trained physician, Dr. Streicher sees patients for specialized neurology issues, such as concussions within the athletic population, and sees patients for all neuromuscular diseases, ranging from numbness and weakness to more severe diseases, like motor neuron disease and muscular dystrophy.
Dr. Streicher performs extensive diagnostic testing, including nerve conduction studies and EMG (electromyography) to measure muscle and nerve health and function. His treatments include medical management, procedures such as Botox for migraines and other neuromuscular disorders, as well as treating patients with neuromuscular disorders with immune-modulating therapy or finding appropriate clinical trials. As he is dedicated to understanding the whole picture of a patient’s diagnosis, Dr. Streicher also focuses on the autoimmune component of neuromuscular disease diagnoses. He coordinates with other specialists, as well as physical therapists, occupational therapists, and social workers to provide a multidisciplinary treatment plan for patients.
His clinical interests include treating patients with concussion, neurology within the athletic population, and diagnosing and treating neuromuscular disorders including motor neuron disease, such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and other muscle and nerve disorders.
Dr. Streicher’s research interests include concussions (presentation, recovery, and therapeutic interventions), discovering new therapeutic targets for ALS and neuromuscular disorders, and finally, data analytics and data collaboration for all of medicine and neurology.
Dr. Streicher received his medical degree from the New York University School of Medicine and completed his residency training in neurology at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. He then completed a specialty fellowship in sports neurology at the University of Michigan before completing a second specialty fellowship in neuromuscular medicine at the Hospital for Special Surgery / Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York, New York. He is a member of the American Academy of Neurology, the American Medical Association, and the American Headache Society.
Dr. Streicher is passionate about and dedicated to providing a multidisciplinary approach to both concussion care and motor neuron disease care, while bridging the gap between neurology and athletics. Dr. Streicher is fluent in both English and French.
Philosophy of Care
“Every patient deserves concentrated attention and personalized treatment. It’s important to listen to patients to understand not only what they are telling you about their medical history, but also what they are telling you about their personal history. I’m always genuinely interested in my patients and their care. No matter what their issue is, I will always do my best to address that and take care of them. I do my best to make them feel comfortable and feel cared for at the same time.
“I feel honored when my patients say that they felt that I did everything I could possibly do to help them and that they felt comfortable with my care for them.
“To any referring physician, I will always do my best to make sure that your patient ends up in the right place. I will also do my best to counteract or avoid fragmentation of care as much as possible.
“As a local from the DC metropolitan area, I care very much about the wellbeing of the people who live in this community.”
- Fellowship Program: Hospital for Special Surgery (2021)
- Fellowship Program: University of Michigan (2020)
- Residency Program: University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (2019)
- Medical School: New York University School of Medicine (2015)
- Graduate Education: University of Michigan (2012)
- Board Certification: American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Neurology
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Open EPO Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Student Resources
- AETNA (13)
- CAREFIRST (8)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE (6)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK (4)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) (1)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR SELECT (1)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) (1)
- TRICARE (4)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE (12)
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital