- Orthopedic Oncology
- alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma
- aneurysmal bone cyst
- aneurysmal bone cyst (hip)
- aneurysmal bone cyst (knee)
- benign neoplasm bone
- bone cyst
- bone defect
- bone mass
- bone sarcoma
- bone tumor
- broken internal joint prosthesis
- brown tumor
- chondromyxoid fibroma
- dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans
- desmoid tumors
- embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma
- epithelioid rhabdomyosarcoma
- ewings sarcoma
- extraskeletal ewing sarcoma
- extraskeletal osteosarcoma
- fibrous cortical defect
- fibrous dysplasia
- foot mass
- giant cell tumor of the bone
- hand mass
- histiocytosis of bone
- impending pathologic fracture
- lipomatous hemangiopericytoma
- lymphoma of bone
- malignant fibrous histiocytoma (mfh)
- malignant lymphomas of bone
- malignant schwannoma
- malignant tenosynovial giant cell tumor
- mass on trunk
- metastatic bone disease
- metastatic rib cancer
- multiple enchondromatosis
- multiple myeloma
- musculoskeletal tumor
- myxoid liposarcoma
- myxoinflammatory fibroblastic sarcoma
- non ossifying fibroma
- osteoid osteoma
- pathological fracture
- pediatric cancer
- periosteal chondroma
- peripheral schwannoma
- pigmented villonodular synovitis
- plexiform schwannoma
- popliteal cyst
- retroperitoneal liposarcoma
- sarcoma of the chest wall
- sarcoma of the extremities
- skeletal metastasis
- spine mets
- subchondral bone cyst sbc hip
- synovial chondromatosis
- synovial sarcoma
- biopsy of mass
- bone allograft
- bone autograft
- bone cancer surgery
- bone cyst aspiration and injection
- bone resection and reconstruction
- chest wall resection
- curettage of bone lesions
- excision of bone cyst
- excision of lesion
- excision of tumor
- excisional biopsy
- limb salvage
- skeletal reconstruction
Robert Henshaw, MD, is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in oncologic oncology, a field dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal tumors. Such tumors are rare and include a wide variety of benign and malignant diseases such as bone sarcomas (such as osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma), soft tissue sarcomas (such as synovial sarcoma, liposarcoma, malignant fibrous histiocytoma), as well as metastatic cancers affecting the extremities. As these diseases can occur at any age, Dr Henshaw routinely treats pediatric and adult patients, having operated on over 4000 tumor patients in Washington, D.C. Dr. Henshaw sees and treats patients from the entire mid-Atlantic region, along with referred patients from around the country and the world.
As an expert in limb salvage surgery, Dr Henshaw has introduces a variety of novel and cutting edge techniques and technology to the region. He specializes in minimally invasive biopsies, routinely using advanced diagnostic techniques to ensure proper diagnosis and staging of each patient. As leader of a dedicated multidisciplinary team of physicians, Dr. Henshaw creates personalized treatment plans for every patient in order to ensure the best possible functional and oncologic outcomes.
Dr. Henshaw is a professor of clinical orthopedics (orthopedic oncology) at Georgetown University and serves in a number of roles with MedStar Health, including vice chairman of orthopedic surgery at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, chief of orthopaedic oncology at MedStar Georgetown Orthopaedics Institute and director of orthopaedic oncology of the Washington Cancer Institute. In addition, he is the director of orthopedic oncology at Children's National Medical Center, and is director of the musculoskeletal fellowship program at Georgetown University and is a consultant to the surgical branch of the National Cancer Institute.
Dr. Henshaw has published or presented his research over 200 times. He's recognized as a top expert in orthopaedic oncology and listed as a "Top Doctor" by Castle Connolly and "Best Doctors in America" on www.bestdoctors.com. He is a member of the Musculoskeletal Tumor Society, Connective Tissue Oncology Society, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Orthopedic Association, as well as a fellow of the American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons.
Before studying medicine, Dr. Henshaw trained as a mechanical engineer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), working at the Orthopedic Research Laboratory at Massachusetts General Hospital. After completing medical school at Tufts University, he trained as a resident in orthopedic surgery at UCLA, coming to Washington, D.C., for his fellowship. Now in his 25th year in D.C., he lives with his family in Alexandria, VA.
Dr. Henshaw was the first surgeon in the Washington-Baltimore area to use the Repiphysis, a non-invasive expandable prosthesis for children with bone cancer. He was the first surgeon in the world to perform a specialized reconstruction of the femur using a custom-designed metal implant to replace the bone between the hip and knee, sparing both joints as well as the growth plates, allowing the bone to grow normally as the patient ages. He has introduced minimally invasive techniques for bone biopsy as well as radiofrequency ablation for bone tumors, and specializes in cryosurgical ablation of bone tumors. Dr Henshaw has helped design multiple custom implants using 3D printed technology for unique skeletal reconstructions following tumor resection. He is also the primary investigator for a number of ongoing clinical trials for musculoskeletal tumors based at MedStar Health.
- Fellowship Program: MedStar Washington Hospital Center (1997)
- Residency Program: University of California at Los Angeles Medical Ct (1995)
- Residency Program: University of California Los Angeles (1995)
- Internship Program: University of California at Los Angeles Medical Ct (1991)
- Internship Program: University of California Los Angeles (1991)
- Medical School: Tufts University School of Medicine (1990)
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
Trent S, Krumme J, Henshaw RM. Metastatic prostate carcinoma: A rare presentation initially misdiagnosed as a rib fracture. Radiol Case Rep. 2020 Aug 5;15(10):1795-1798. doi: 10.1016/j.radcr.2020.07.038. eCollection 2020 Oct. PMID: 32793320
Nelson CM, Marchese V, Rock K, Henshaw RM, Addison O. Alterations in Muscle Architecture: A Review of the Relevance to Individuals After Limb Salvage Surgery for Bone Sarcoma. Front Pediatr. 2020 Jun 16;8:292. doi: 10.3389/fped.2020.00292. eCollection 2020. PMID: 32612962
Jelinek J, Wu A, Wallace M, Kumar D, Henshaw RM, et al. Imaging of spindle cell lipoma. Clin Radiol. 2020 May;75(5):396.e15-396.e21. doi: 10.1016/j.crad. 2019.11.020. Epub 2020 Jan 10. PMID: 31932047
Heng M, Gupta A, Chung PW, et al. Soft Tissue Osteosarcoma International Collaborative (STOIC). The role of chemotherapy and radiotherapy in localized extraskeletal osteosarcoma. Eur J Cancer. 2020 Jan;125:130-141. doi:10.1016/j.ejca.2019.07.029. Epub 2019 Dec 2. PMID: 31806415
Chawla S, Blay JY, Rutkowski P, Le Cesne A, Reichardt P, Gelderblom H, Grimer RJ, Choy E, Skubitz K, Seeger L, Schuetze SM, Henshaw R, et al. Denosumab in patients with giant-cell tumour of bone: a multicentre, open-label, phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol. 2019 Dec;20(12):1719-1729. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(19)30663-1. Epub 2019 Nov 6. PMID: 31704134
Maheshwari AV, Shah NV, Newman JM, Freetly TJ, Henshaw RM. Cytogenetic Single-Institution Analysis: 101 Consecutive Cases of Soft-Tissue Tumors of the Extremities. J Long Term Eff Med Implants. 2018;28(2):87-99. doi: 10.1615/JLongTermEffMedImplants.2018026233.PMID: 30317958
Engellau J, Seeger L, Grimer R, Henshaw R, et al. Assessment of denosumab treatment effects and imaging response in patients with giant cell tumor of bone. World J Surg Oncol. 2018 Sep 19;16(1):191. doi: 10.1186/s12957-018-1478-3.
Carroll P, Henshaw RM, Garwood C, Raspovic K, Kumar D. Plantar Fibromatosis: Pathophysiology, Surgical and Nonsurgical Therapies: An Evidence-Based Review. Foot Ankle Spec. 2018 Apr;11(2):168-176. doi: 10.1177/1938640017751184. Epub 2018 Jan 9.
Nwankwo BO, Henshaw RM, Kumar D. Glomus Tumor of the Sciatic Nerve: An Extraspinal Cause of Sciatica. Orthopedics. 2018 Jan 1;41(1):e151-e153. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20170918-07. Epub 2017 Sep 22.
Tedesco NS, Van Horn A, Henshaw RM. Long-term Results of Intercalary Endoprosthetic Short Segment Fixation Following Extended Diaphysectomy. Orthopedics, 2017 Nov 1;40(6):e964-e970. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20170918-04. Epub 2017 Sep 22. PMID: 28934543
Henshaw RM. Sarcoma: A Multidisciplinary Approach to Treatment. Cham, Switzerland: Springer International. 2017. DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-43121-5.
Shuck J, Wood BC, Zarella C, Oh AK, Henshaw RM, Rogers GF. Near-complete Humerus Reconstruction in the Pediatric Patient with Vascularized Free Fibula Transfer. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2016 Dec 27;4(12):e1143. doi: 10.1097/GOX.0000000000001143.
Tedesco NS, Henshaw RM. Unplanned Resection of Sarcoma. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2016 Mar;24(3):150-9. doi: 10.5435/JAAOS-D-15-00074
Maheshwari AV, Gilbert C, Noveau J, Pivec R, Henshaw RM. Implant Fracture after Long-Stemmed Cemented Hemiarthroplasty for Oncologic Indications. J Long Term Eff Med Implants. 2015;25(3):171-8. PMID: 26756556
Adams B, Roboubi B, Henshaw R. Acute Onset of Vancomycin Anaphylaxis With Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in an Orthopedic Patient Despite Prior Repeated Exposure. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2015 Dec;44(12):E523-5. PMID: 26665256
Henshaw RM. Surgical advances in bone and soft tissue sarcoma: 50 years of progress. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2014;34:252-8. doi: 10.14694/ EdBook_AM.2014.34.252.
Henshaw RM and Carmody Soni E. Orthopedic Knowledge Update Tumors 3; Benign Bone Tumors, Musculoskeletal Tumor Society and American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, Feb 2014.
Wallace MT, Henshaw RM. Results of Cement versus Bone Graft Reconstruction after Intralesional Curettage of Bone Tumors in the Skeletally Immature Patient. J Pediatr Orthop. 2014 Jan;34(1):92-100. doi: 10.1097/BPO.0b013e31829b2f61.
Shehadeh A, El Dahleh M, Salem A, Sarhan Y, Sultan I , Henshaw RM, Aboulafia A. Standardization of rehabilitation after limb salvage surgery for sarcomas improves patients’ outcome. Hematol Oncol Stem Cell Ther. 2013 Sep-Dec;6(3-4):105-11. doi: 10.1016/j.hemonc.2013.09.001. Epub 2013 Oct 24.
Chawla S, Henshaw R, Seeger L, Choy E, Blay JY, Ferrari S, Kroep J, Grimer R, Reichardt P, Rutkowski P, Schuetze S, Skubitz K, Staddon A, Thomas D, Qian Y, Jacobs I. Safety and efficacy of denosumab for adults and skeletally mature adolescents with giant cell tumour of bone: interim analysis of an open-label, parallel-group, phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol. 2013 Aug;14(9):901-8.
Meftah M, Schult P, Henshaw RM. Long-term results of intralesional curettage and cryosurgery for treatment of low-grade chondrosarcoma. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2013 Aug 07;95(15):1358-1364.
Argintar E, Sanders T, Nomikos G, Henshaw R, Delahay J. Soft-tissue benign mesenchymoma in a pediatric patient. Am J Orthop. 2012; 41(12):561-652.
Maheshwari A, Jelinek J, Seibel N, Meloni-Ehrig A, Kumar D, Henshaw R. Bilateral synchronous tibial periosteal osteosarcoma with familial incidence. Skeletal Radiology, 2012 Aug;41(8):1005-9.
Maheshwari AV, Walters JA, Henshaw RM. Extensile posterior approach to the ankle with detachment of the achilles tendon for oncologic indications. Foot Ankle Int. 2012 May;33(5):430-5.
Bergin PF, Noveau JB, Jelinek JS, Henshaw RM. Aseptic loosening rates in distal femoral endoprostheses: Does stem size matter? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012 Mar;470(3):743-50.
Maheshwari A, Bergin P, Henshaw RM. Modes of Failure of Custom Expandable Repiphysis Prostheses: A Report of Three Cases. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am., Jul 2011; 93 (13); e72 1-7. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.J.00841
Maheshwari AV, Jelinek JS, Song AJ, Nelson KJ, Murphey MD, Henshaw RM. Metaphyseal and diaphyseal chondroblastomas. Skeletal Radiol. 2011 Dec;40(12):1563-73. Epub 2011 Jul 20.
Shehadeh A, Noveau J, Malawer M, Henshaw R. Late Complications and Survival of Endoprosthetic Reconstruction after Resection of Bone Tumors. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010 Nov;468(11):2885-95.
Thomas D, Henshaw R, Skubitz K, Chawla S, Staddon A, Blay J, Roudier M, Smith J, Ye Z, Sohn W, Dansey R, Jun S. Denosumab in patients with giant-cell tumour of bone: an open-label, phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol. 2010 Mar;11(3):275-80. Epub 2010 Feb 10.
Malawer M, Henshaw RM, Kellar-Graney K. Overview of Endoprosthetic Reconstruction. Operative Techniques in Orthopedic Surgery. Wiesel S (ed), Lippincott Williams Wilkins, Vol 2, Chapt 3:1728-39, 2010.
Virkus W, Henshaw RM, Miller B, Gitelis S. Use of Allografts and Segmental Prostheses for Reconstruction of Segmental Bone Defects. Operative Techniques in Orthopedic Surgery. Wiesel S (ed), Lippincott Williams Wilkins, Vol 2, Chapt 29, 1982-90, 2010.
Wittig J, Malawer M, Kellar-Graney K, Henshaw RM. Axillary Space Exploration and Resections. Operative Techniques in Orthopedic Surgery. Wiesel S (ed), Lippincott Williams Wilkins, Vol 2, Chapt 13, 1825-32, 2010.
- Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- Innovation Health: Indemnity
- Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- Innovation Health: POS Plus
- Innovation Health: PPO
- Open EPO Plus
- Open POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- Aetna Student Health Insurance
- Aetna USAccess (POS)
- Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- HealthyBlue PPO
- CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- Choice Fund PPO
- POS OA & OA Plus
- CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA Indemnity
- CIGNA POS/Network POS
- Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH
- MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MedStar Medicare Choice
- MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- Tricare Prime
- Tricare Standard
- United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- M.D. IPA (HMO)
- M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- OneNet PPO, Inc.
- Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- United Student Resources
- AETNA (13)
- CAREFIRST (8)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE (6)
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK (4)
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) (1)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE (1)
- MEDSTAR SELECT (1)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) (1)
- TRICARE (4)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE (12)
- 3800 Reservoir Road NorthwestWashington, DC 20007
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
- Listed by Castle Connolly’s “America’s Top Doctors” and “America’s Top Doctors for Cancer”
- Recognized in America’s Best Physicians by the National Consumer Advisory Board
- Vitals Patient’s Choice Award
- Listed in “Best Doctors in America”
- Recognized by WHC “Our Celebrated Physicians” campaign
- Listed in Virginia Living Magazine Best Doctors
- Listed in The Washington Post magazine, Top Doctors
- AMA Physician Recognition Award with Commendation
- Listed in “America’s Top Oncologists” by Consumers’ Research Council of America
- Recipient of the Nurses’ Choice Physician Collaboration Award, Washington Hospital Center
- Listed in “Guide to America’s Top Surgeons”, by Consumers’ Research Council of America
- Listed in Northern Virginias Top Doctors