- Cardiac Surgery
- aneurysm of ascending aorta
- anomalies of pulmonary circulation
- anomalous pulmonary artery
- anomalous pulmonary venous return
- aortic aneurysm
- aortic arch aneurysm
- aortic stenosis
- aortic ulcer
- aortic valve sclerosis
- chest wall disorder
- collapsed lung
- congenital tricuspid stenosis
- contusion of chest wall
- double aortic arch
- idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis
- infiltrative disorders of the heart
- ischemic cardiomyopathy
- left atrial appendage occlusion
- loeys dietz syndrome
- lung contusion
- malignant effusion
- marfan syndrome
- maternal valvular disease
- mitral regurgitation
- mitral valve prolapse
- mitral valve stenosis
- myocardial bridge
- pectus carinatum
- pectus excavatum
- pericardial effusion
- pleural effusion
- pulmonary valve disorders
- pulmonary valve stenosis
- rheumatic mitral stenosis
- rib fracture
- rupture of papillary muscle
- sternal fracture
- thoracoabdominal aneurysm
- tracheoesophageal fistula
- tricuspid atresia
- tricuspid stenosis
- tricuspid valve disease
- valvular endocarditis
- abdominal aneurysm repair
- aortic root replacement
- aortic valve replacement
- aortic valve surgery
- atrial septal defect (asd) repair
- balloon catheter
- bloodless cardiac surgery
- circulatory assist devices
- collateral vessel closure
- convergent procedure
- coronary artery bypass surgery
- correction of pectus deformity
- endoscopic surgery
- enhanced external counterpulsation therapy eecp
- epicardial lead placement
- extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
- heart transplant
- impella insertion
- impella management
- intra aortic balloon pump
- left atrial appendage closure
- mechanical circulatory support
- median sternotomy
- minimally invasive aortic valve replacement
- minimally invasive atrial septal defect (asd) closure
- minimally invasive cardiac surgery
- minimally invasive coronary bypass surgery
- minimally invasive mitral valve repair
- minimally invasive ventricular septal defect closure
- mitral valve repair
- mitral valve replacement
- off pump coronary artery bypass
- paravalvular leak repair
- patent foramen ovale closure
- percutaneous atrial septal defect (asd) closure
- percutaneous ventricular septal defect closure
- pleurx catheter insertion
- prosthetic heart valves
- pulmonary thromboendarterectomy
- pulmonic valve replacement
- reoperative cardiac surgery
- repair of diaphragm
- replacement of heart valve
- robotic assisted cardiac surgery
- robotic thoracic surgery
- ross-konno procedure
- septal myectomy
- surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation
- thoracic aneurysm repair
- thoracic endovascular aortic repair
- total endoscopic coronary artery bypass grafting
- transcatheter aortic valve replacement
- tricuspid valve repair
- tube pericardiostomy
- ventricular assist device
- ventricular septal defect repair
Yuji Kawano, MD, is a cardiac surgeon at MedStar Washington Hospital Center with a unique specialization in minimally invasive and robotic heart surgery.
Dr. Kawano comes to MedStar Health from his advanced fellowship program at Emory University, where he received the full spectrum of training in robotic cardiac surgery under some of the first, and most experienced, robotic cardiac surgeons, worldwide.
A highly specialized approach, robotic heart surgery can provide patients with enhanced recovery, shorter hospital stays, and fewer complications compared to conventional methods. Robotics may be applied to treat mitral and tricuspid valve conditions, atrial fibrillation, and cardiac tumors, for low-risk surgical patients as well as high-risk patients with complex comorbidities.
Philosophy of Care
“Robotic surgery is an excellent option for a patient seeking better cosmesis, quicker recovery, and less post-surgical pain, without compromising the clinical result of surgery itself. I work closely with my colleagues to fully evaluate the benefits and potential risks for each case. My patients can always count on me to be honest with them –– to explain their situation and to help them understand their treatment options. My first priority is always the patient’s safety.”
- Advanced Robotic Cardiac Surgery, Emory University Hospital, Atlanta, Georgia
- Advanced Adult Cardiac Surgery, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, Tokyo Bay Urayasu Ichikawa Medical Center, Chiba, Japan
- Cardiovascular Surgery, Ichinomiya Nishi Hospital, Aichi, Japan
- General Surgery, Musashino Red Cross Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
- Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
- Fellowship Program: Emory University Hospital (2021)
- Fellowship Program: Brigham and Women's Hospital (2020)
- Fellowship Program: Tokyo Bay Urayasu Ichikawa Medical Center (2018)
- Residency Program: Ichinomiya Nishi Hospital (2013)
- Residency Program: Japanese Red Cross Musashino Hospital (2012)
- Medical School: Osaka University (2010)
- Board Certification: American Board of Thoracic Surgery, Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery
Peer Reviewed Publications
Kawano Y, Harloff M, Sameer H, Kaneko T. Early Outcomes of Trans-Atrial Mitral Valve Replacement in Severe Mitral Annular Calcification. JTCVS 2021 (In press)
Kawano Y, Kanaoka Y, Hiraiwa N, Nakatsuka D, Tabata M. Emergency thoracic endovascular aortic repair with celiac artery coverage in hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. Journal of Vascular Surgery Cases and Innovative Techniques. 2017 June;3:57-9
Kawano Y, Tabata M, Nakatsuka D, Hiraiwa N. A novel approach for emergency repair of intraoperative type A aortic dissection through a left thoracotomy. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2016 Aug;102(2):e147-9.
Kawano,Y, Tabata M. Postoperative management manual for cardiac surgery. Critical care management, 2019. (Japanese)
Kawano Y, Tabata M. Surgery for left atrial appendage. Structural heart disease intervention complete guide 2019 May Chapter 3-3. (Japanese)
Kawano Y, Tabata M. Surgical devices for minimally invasive cardiac surgery (MICS). Kyobu Geka 2018 Sep;71(10):788-793. (Japanese)
Kawano Y , Tabata M. Pitfalls and tips of management about postoperative temporary pacemaker. Intensivist, 2016 Vol.8 Chapter 3: 33-40. (Japanese)
Kawano Y, Yasui Y, Tsuchiya K, Muraoka Y, Tanaka K, Suzuki Y, et al. A case report of systemic amyloidosis diagnosed by liver biopsy. Journal of Japanese Society of Gastroenterology 2013;6:1030-7
Hibino M, Katada Y, Shibayama K, Obunai K, Watanabe H, Kawano Y, et al. Recurrent aortic root pseudoaneurysm after transcatheter occlusion-A word of caution. J Card Surg. 2018 Apr;33(4):190-193
Nishi T, Shibayama K, Tabata M, Kato N, Noguchi M, Kawano Y, et al. Accuracy and usefulness of aortic annular measurement using real-time three-dimensional transesophageal echocardiography: Comparison with direct surgical sizing. J Cariol. 2018 Mar;71(3):230-236.
Nishida H, Nakatsuka D, Kawano Y, Hiraiwa N, Takanashi S, Tabata M. Outcomes of totally endoscopic atrial septal defect closure using a glutaraldehyde-treated autologous pericardial patch. Circ J. 2017 Apr 25;81(5):689-693.
Noguchi M, Nakai T, Kawano Y, Shibayama K, Obunai K, Tabata M, et al. Delayed right ventricular defibrillation lead perforation presenting as cardiac tamponade and treated surgically.Clin Case Rep. 2017 Mar 2;5(4):458-462.
Noguchi M, Tabata M, Ito J, Nakatsuka D, Kawano Y, Shibayama K, et al. Successfully treated nonocclusive mesenteric ischemia after transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017 Feb;103(2):e171-e173.
Katada Y, Ito J, Shibayama K, Nakatsuka D, Kawano Y, Watanabe H, et al. Transapical transcatheter closure of the pseudoaneurysm in the left ventricular outflow tract after aortic valve replacement. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2016 Sep 26;9(18):e181-3.
Tabata M, Hiraiwa N, Kawano Y, Nakatsuka D, Hoshino S. A Simple, Effective, and Inexpensive Technique for Exposure of Papillary Muscles in Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Repair: Wakka Technique. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2015;100:e59-61.
Tabata M, Nakatsuka D, Nishida H, Takanashi S, Hiraiwa N, Kawano Y. A Simple Nonresectional Technique for Degenerative Mitral Regurgitation With a Very Large Posterior Leaflet: Chordal Foldoplasty. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2016;101:e179-81
Kawano Y, Harloff M, Sameer H, Kaneko T. Outcomes of open trans-atrial TMVR in patients with severe mitral annular calcification. JATS 2020.
Kawano Y, Morimura H, Nakanaga H, Watanabe S, Hiraiwa N, Tabata M. A case of transfemoral TAVI with multiple complications including annulus rupture. Complex Cardiovascular Therapeutics 2017.
Kawano Y, Watanabe S, Nakanaga H, Morimura H, Shigetomi K, Hiraiwa N, Tabata M. Outcomes of TAVR with proactive alternative access use. The 70th Annual Meeting of the Japanese Association for Thoracic Surgery 2017.
Kawano Y, Tabata M, Nakatsuka D, Hibino M, Watanabe S, Shibayama K, et al. Effective evaluation of systolic anterior movement using intraoperative transesophageal echocardiogram after Morrow operation for HOCM. The 6th Local Meeting for Comprehensive Understanding of Cardiac Diseases 2016.
Kawano Y, Tabata M, Nakatsuka D, Hibino M, Shibayama K, Watanabe H, et al. A case of mitral torn chordae after transapical aortic valve replacement. The 7th Annual Meeting of Japan Transcatheter Valve Therapies 2016.
Kawano Y, Tabata M, Nakatsuka D, Hiraiwa N. Emergent thoracic endovascular aortic repair with iliac-to-hepatic artery bypass and celiac artery coverage in a patient with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. The 44th Annual Meeting of Japanese Society for Vascular Surgery 2016.
Kawano Y, Tabata M, Nakatsuka D, Ito J. Career planning for young cardiovascular surgeons. The 46th Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society for Cardiovascular Surgery 2016.
Kawano Y, Tabata M, Nakatsuka D, Hiraiwa N. Focused strategy for early discharge after minimally invasive valve surgery. The 9th Meeting of Japan Association for Development of Community Medicine 2015.
Kawano Y, Tabata M, Nakatsuka D, Hiraiwa N. Hybrid clamping technique for highly calcified abdominal aortic aneurysm. Kanto-Koshinetsu Local Meeting of The Japanese Circulation Society 2014.
Kawano Y, Tabata M, Nakatsuka D, Hiraiwa N. Important role of nurse practitioner in a heart team. Complex Cardiovascular Therapeutics 2014.
Kawano Y, Tabata M, Nakatsuka D, Hiraiwa N. Early surgical intervention improved femoral nerve dysfunction after minimally invasive valve surgery. Kanto-Koshinetsu Local Meeting of The Japanese Circulation Society 2014.
Kawano Y, Hiramoto A, Hoshino R, Kaneko K, Koyanagi T. A case of giant left ventricular aneurysm after myocardial infarction. The 98th Tokai Local Meeting of Cardiovascular Surgery 2013.
Kawano Y, Hiramoto A, Hoshino R, Koyanagi T. A case of effusive constrictive pericarditis improved after pericardial fenestration. The 141st Tokai Local Meeting of The Japanese Circulation Society 2013.
Kawano Y, Hiramoto A, Hoshino R, Koyanagi T. Successful Dor procedure for ischemic cardiomyopathy as a bridge therapy to heart transplantation: case report. The 140th Tokai Local Meeting of The Japanese Circulation Society 2012.
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center